Monday, August 25, 2008

SEPs-part 1

I really hope there is no part two in this ongoing entry unless it's all good news. SEP stands for something like Student Educator Parent conferences or something. Anyway, they're pretty much parent teacher conferences. Yeah, we have them right at the beginning of the year to go over homework policies and procedures and to get all the paperwork done that we need. Yeah the homework ordeal did not sit well with one mother. Sonia barely had two words out of her mouth and this mother was like "Okay, we need to talk about this homework thing." Before we went too much further than that, I invited the principal to come and join us. It was absolutely crazy!! She did not let us get hardly one word in to explain that her child would have maybe 10 minutes of homework on top of her reading that she already does anyway. Her theory was that school is time to learn and home is "dinner time, play time, and family time." Mom didn't want her "sitting on her butt all day at school then coming home and sitting on her butt again doing homework." Pretty much she said we could send homework but to not be surprised if they didn't do it!! GEEZ! We're asking for 10-20 minutes per night lady! Oh my freaking heck! This went on for at least 15-20 minutes and Sonia and I were completely shocked. What the...? Plus this mom associates with the mom (they trade off carpooling or something) who asked us what theories of education and management we use in our classroom. Theories? What?? I was so glad Sonia was there because she explained that each child and class is so unique that we're constantly adapting and changing what we do when we teach (not the curriculum itself, but the approach). YAY! Go Sonia!! So then, this mom proceeds to tell us in so many words that her daughter needs to do an art project everyday in order to get her creativity out or some wierdness. The dad couldn't believe that we don't have time in our schedule to do art projects every day. Well sir, we have to devote time to math, literacy, lunch, recess, and planning times (P.E., music, library) as well. Plus, until we get used to our new reading program, it's going to take up a lot of our time. UGH! I had a headache when I got home.

I think I'll put up a "part 2" entry and just hope and pray that we have no more anti-homework, art project nazi moms telling us how to do our jobs!

2 comments:

MarieC said...

Ugh! Parents like that are part of the reason why my mom left the classroom for the safety of the school library! Good for you and Sonia for holding your ground, though.

Mickelle said...

I'm coming today! Trust me, you can ALWAYS cry on my shoulder(s) about teaching stuff. Or anything else.

Can't wait to see your beautiful classroom! And I am way TOO excited to help. It's actually a little weird.