Monday, August 11, 2008

Can I just say "Oh my holy goodness!" to the Olympic 4x100 men's swimming relay last night? That was completely amazing.

I've started pondering on Olympians and how much work and dedication they put into their event. When I saw various athletes take the stand last night to receive their medals, I tried to picture them in my head practicing, training, grueling for hours and working to improve their great talent(s). I imagined it being their life and that all they did, besides training and practicing, was eat and sleep; no job, no other committment, nothing. But, I don't think that's how it is with the majority of the athletes. They probably work and have families and obligations to tend to, but they just never cease to amaze me. It's crazy and interesting.

School starts in a week...AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I feel totally unprepared, even moreso than last year, in some ways. I mean, I already have lots of my curriculum set and ready, but with our new reading program this year, I think this feeling of unpreparedness is really hitting me hard. Serously, our new reading program is CRAZY! We are so excited about it because it seems like it will be very effective and helpful, but each 1st grade teacher got AT LEAST 20-25 boxes of stuff that goes with the program. Yeah, it's all sitting in my room wondering what it's future will be. I've barely scratched the surface of it all and I have to decide what will stay in a box to be unpacked when we get to our new school. YIKES. Okay, I'm going to stop talking about this because it will make me nuts if I think about it anymore. Let's just say I hope I survive these next couple of weeks!

2 comments:

MarieC said...

For many Olympians, training IS their full-time job. I know on the Canadian broadcast last night, they mentioned that US swimmer Katie Hoff practices 7 days a week, 365 days a year, 10 practices a week (instead of "just" 8 like some other swimmers). I couldn't imagine.

We hope school starts here on September 2...the teachers have not yet agreed upon a new contract and have said they would not start the year without one. While I support the teachers' contract requirements, I worry about the impact on the school year should they be forced to strike.

Scott said...

You know, the Olympians kind-of remind me of Andrea & Jaqueline Metz. Do you remember them?

I think one of the lessons I took away from having them as my friends in the Hazledale ward was that I didn't love music enough -- not enough to sacrifice so much else.

Don't get me wrong: giving up so much else for that moment of satisfaction is a totally awesome thing to do. It's just not in my nature. (Nor, I think, in most other people's.)

I ended up deciding that God wants us to be well-rounded. After all, the demands placed upon people for thousands of years were such that they had to know how to do much more for themselves than we do today. They had to know a whole slew of skills. Today, we perfect just one. Interesting, where technology has taken us, isn't it?

(Maybe I'll wax eloquent about these thoughts on my blog some day.)

oh -- and this is Mickelle, not Scott. :)