Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fun documentation (now with pictures)

So, as far as I know, my mother-in-law has no clue that this blog exists; I intend to keep it that way...at least until I'm finished with her Christmas gift that I started tonight. So, Lynne, if you know this exists...stop reading right now!

I thought it would be fun to document all of the labor that goes into this gift. I will try to post pictures, but am slightly reluctant to at the moment because of some problems with pics being on the computer. I will post them when I can.

About a month and a half ago I took a rag quilting class at our local fabric store, The Cotton Shop. That's my new favorite place to get sewing supplies and fabric. Anyway, Lynne (mother-in-law) saw my quilt and just oogled over it and LOVED it. So, when I was there with my own mother about 3 weeks or so ago, we were looking at the rag quilt kits and my eyes caught a new quilt that one of the employees had made. It was a CHRISTMAS rag quilt and soooooooooooo freaking cute! Oh my gosh!! Lynne immediately came to mind as my mom and I both oogled and ooooh-ed and ahhhh-ed over it. It was just fun and exciting. I immediately picked up the quilt kit and was willing to pay the $70 to make the quilt. When I went to pay for it, my mom inquired about a 20% off coupon to see if I could use it. The lady said yes and I said: "but it says no discounts on blanket kits." She said that only applied to the pre-made blankets you can crochet around. WOO HOO!! So my grand total was $59, after tax. It's just been sitting in it's plastic bag for 3 weeks. Then I got the feeling it will take me a while to finish this project and I think I am right. Tonight I pulled out the pre-cut squares and went through ALL of them and ironed them. That alone took me about an hour. But I couldn't be more excited about this project. I can't wait to give it to Lynne. Since it's a Christmas quilt, I get to give it to her early! Probably around Thanksgiving. :)

Hours so far on quilt: 1

Stay tuned for pictures and more updates.

UPDATE: PICTURES BELOW!

This is just after I finished ironing all of the pieces. The filler pieces aren't shown because you'll never see them anyway. They are just like the solid blue pieces, just tan.

This will be the outside binding. So, instead of having the outside edges be ragged, they will be bound like a regular quilt.
CUTE! Wait no! I would say beyond adorable!
There are many varieties of quilt squares. This one just happened to be on top! So, I'll alternate one of these striped border pieces and one of the pieces above.
This will be the back of the quilt. Just blue. Unlike my first rag quilt, this one will take longer because I have to pay attention to where I am sewing the pieces so I don't accidentally sew a blue piece to the front or sew one of the striped border pieces upside down. Ohhh, the horror!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Um...your next run to the Cotton Shop...call me. I want to pick up more fabric!