So I changed my blog decor in honor of mine and Kory's trip to the Big Island Hawaii in two weeks. We are SO excited for a few reasons:
1) It's Hawaii!! Need we any more reasons?
2) Family Reunions which means A LOT of people in one place for two weeks.
3) Kory's whole immediate family is going--probably the last family trip together for a VERY LONG TIME
4) Jase's first time in Hawaii (he pronounces it Ha-why)
5) Bang-Bang (it's a game)
6) Food, food, food.
7) Short side-trek to Honolulu between the two reunions
8) Folks, it's not Provo. That's all I need to say.
Pretty much, the days can't go by fast enough. We totally can't wait. Plus, it will be my first time at a family reunion of this grandeur and my first time on the big island. How exciting! I'll try to take as many pictures as possible.
Kory and I had what I would call a fun and interesting conversation last night before drifting off to sleep. Somehow we got onto the topic of baby names. We've talked about them before and I know that Kory wants one of his children (preferably a son) to have his middle name: Kaheaokalani. I've always been okay with that, but then my thought process turns to family names from my side. Comparatively, they are not very exciting but hey, we can't all have oober cool names, can we? My grandpa's name was John Ellis Passmore. My mom wants us girls to try to utilize his name somehow when naming our boys. I'm not a fan of John (maybe, possible, not likely a middle name) but I would probably use Ellis as a middle name. Here arises the dilemma: If we name one child with a Hawaiian middle name, the other children are not going to be happy that they didn't get a Hawaiian middle name. So, the next problem and what our conversation consisted of last night. I'm not keen on my children having two middle names, but Kory thinks it's okay. With our last name and a hawaiian middle name, I don't think giving our children yet another middle name is necessary or nice. Can you imagine? Little Jacob Ellis Kaheaokalani Sekaquaptewa (or Jacob Kaheaokalani Ellis Sekaquaptewa) trying to write his whole name in First grade? Of course, I'm sure that our children will be proud of their names, just as Kory is, but still I think it's slight overkill. Kory seemed to be very set on the idea of two middle names. Our nephew is Jase Kawika Sekaquaptewa Perkins, slightly shorter but still with two middle names. I just haven't decided completely how I feel about it yet. What do you think?
4 comments:
I was planning on using Ellis in a middle name for any future sons I have. Does that help at all?
So hey, if you guys leave before we move, i'm secretly going to sneak into your suitcase!! :P
I say no to two middle names. Keep in mind, sometimes these things skip a generation.
All the Hawaiian kids I know have a Hawaiian middle name AND an English middle name. I think it is cool to honor the Hawaiian culture that way! Go for it!
Post a Comment