Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day of celebration

Wait, you want an update? Oh, right because I'm so NOT busy that I should have had time to post at least once a day over the past month!

Well, I suppose I could update you on a few things...actually not much but Kory starting grad school in March is something, isn't it?

A couple weeks ago we met Steve; he's Kory's academic advisor at the University of Phoenix in Pleasant Grove. He and Kory had so much in common it was scary. But, he got Kory all squared away and a few days ago Kory got an email saying he was eligible to register for his very first grad school class! When we left our meeting with Steve, I felt good and Kory felt good. He said he is excited, which brings peace to my heart. Those who know Kory well, know that he's not a huge fan of school. Ironic! He wants to be a school counselor. Every time I think about it now, I get excited, almost giddy. I think most of that excitement is coming from him being excited.

Some people early on in our relationship and marriage said that Kory shouldn't take a break from school because the longer he was out the harder it would be to get back in. Truly, for some people, that may be the case. For Kory, an almost 3 year break from school is just what he needed. He was burned out from school. I'll admit I was one of those who thought he should just go right back to school, but I have since learned to just be patient. That has been hard to do. There have been many nights when I have lain awake thinking of how best to encourage him toward the path of Grad School without being the nagging wife. I don't think I ever found that answer.

But, March 23 will be a day of celebration. Kory will being attending class once a week for about 2.5 years, including an internship at a school somewhere in Utah! He can still work his regular hours and still spend time with his family. That will be nice. At first I thought moving out of state and going to college in Oregon or Arizona would be a fun adventure. It still might be, but I see how perfect this situation is right now. Kory can still work, as can I. We won't have to job hunt in a new place and we won't have to move or pay the expense of moving.

Blessings are in abundance right now. What more could we ask for?

2 comments:

MarieC said...

Yay Kory! Though, I would not have complained if you had come to OR or WA for grad school, this does sound ideal. :-)

Unknown said...

That's wonderful, i'm so happy for you. It's the best when your husband is excited about what they're doing.