Thursday, July 31, 2008

The New Place

I was thinking the other day that I would make a list of Pro's and Con's about both apartments. It might make me feel better about moving out of our old one. Even though the landlords at the old apartment are dumb, I loved that apartment and Kory finally admitted last night that it was nostalgic and kind of sad. I've been sad about it for a long time. So, here's the list.

OLD APARTMENT (1 bedroom apartment)

PRO'S

- HUGE bedroom

- lots of closet space in the bedroom

-huge storage closet in the hallway

- huge living room

- tons of cupboards in the kitchen

- great neighbors and church ward

CON'S

- no dishwasher

- coin-op laundry

- old, bumpy carpet

- THIRD FLOOR

- A/C didn't function very well

- good water pressure was a hit and miss!

NEW APARTMENT (2 bedrooms)

PRO'S

- 2 bedrooms

- HUGE kitchen

- pantry shelves in kitchen

- hardwood floor in kitchen

- nice carpet

- good water pressure

- big bathroom

- DISHWASHER!!!!!

- access to a washer & dryer (shared with my cousin who lives upstairs)

- central air

- big living room

CON'S

- small master bedroom

- small closet in master bedroom (Kory uses the closet in the spare bedroom)

- not much space for storage

- low ceilings

- small windows

So, there you have it. I think storage space is what is still bothering me. I loved being able to hide all our junk in the hall closet at our old place and now we don't really have a spot. We have two utility closets, but technically it's illegal to store stuff in them. My cousin is a lawyer, though and he said he didn't care if we put stuff in there. Plus there are rafters in the garage we can use as well, but it's currently locked while my cousin and his family are out of town. Oh well, we're getting put together, slowly but surely.

Our box spring on our mattress set didn't fit through the door, so we had to list ours on KSL and craigslist and buy a split box spring. After shopping around at Big Lots, RC Willey and a teeny tiny firuniture store here in Provo called Ideal Mattress and Home Furnishings, I found the teeny tiny place had the best deal. Big Lots doesn't deliver and RC Willey would have charged me about $130-150 for EACH PIECE of the split queen, plus $65 to deliver. Throw in taxes and that's close to $400, which is about what our whole mattress set cost when we first got it! Ideal Mattress charged me just under $180 for the whole set up and they delivered it for free! Yay for them! The greatest was the RC Willey said if I ordered the split mattress it would take 2 weeks for it to arrive. I called Ideal Mattress yesterday, they didn't have any at that moment, but they delivered the box spring today! Another YAY for them. Now all we have to do is check out of our old aparment (I'm scared of the Nazi's!!) and make our new place look decent before we leave for Oregon on Saturday. There's a lot to do still! I've got pictures of our new place before we moved in, but they wouldn't upload. I'll try again and post pictures of our new place when it's clean and organized!

P.S. I don't know why the purple font wouldn't change color when I specifically asked it to...twice! I copied and pasted it from another online diary that I keep so maybe it didn't like being copied and pasted. Who knows. Sorry about the different fonts as well.

3 comments:

MarieC said...

Well, all things considered, I think you will find that 2 bedrooms are good and you will figure out the storage. The new place scores major points for the dishwasher. I didn't get one of those until we bought our house in 1995. Bummer about the box spring, though!

Jamie said...

What kind of stuff are you worried about storing? Maybe I can help you build some simple cabinets and shelves for your second bedroom. Or we could just go to Home Depot. You know I never mind going to Home Depot.

MarieC said...

I thought of one more thing after I left my first comment...our first married apartment didn't even have CENTRAL HEAT! It had this huge, ancient, natural gas heater right in front of where the fireplace would have been. It was supposed to heat the entire place...it didn't. In the winter when we were really cold, we would sit right on top of the heater (it literally was a huge silver box). We called it the Hot Seat. I still have dreams (nightmares, actually) about having to move back into that apartment, even though it was torn down and replaced by a condo complex around 1992.