So as I mentioned in my previous blog entry, Kory and I have recently started weekly goals. After much thought and wracking my brain for an idea of a second goal I could have for the week, I finally (I'm almost ashamed to say because it took me so long) came up with the idea of reading 1 General Conference talk each day. As I was pondering the talk I just read a few minutes ago, I decided maybe blogging about some of the talks I read will be good for retention purposes!
Tonight's winner was a talk entitled "Finding Strength in Challenging Times!" by Elder Allan F. Packer. His talk was mainly about having the capacity to receive personal revelation in our troubled times and strengthening our testimonies through knowing certain gospel truths. One par that got me thinking was when he quoted Doctrine and Covenants 9:8 "But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right." The thought crossed my mind at this point that this is what I encourage my students to do: Think about choices they are making or what they are writing in their journals or if the answer they have chosen makes sense with the test question. Now, they can't always ask me if it's right (like on the test) but they can ask for clarification and I guide and help them. I, too, apply this to myself when I think about certain things I want to do with my class or need to say to a parent of a struggling child and then I generally seek advice before taking the idea to the next level.
One other thing that enlightened my mind was when Elder Packer was speaking of noticing little "intimations" of the Spirit like a flow of pure intelligence that brings about "sudden strokes of ideas." I can't number how many times I have sat at my desk at school and thought about things that I would really like to change in my classroom, whether it be a routine or how my kids complete their Centers, etc. and ideas will just pop into my head as something I should at least try to see if I like it. The only regret from these experiences is that I have not written down everything that has been revealed to me. I have been able to recognize those experiences as receiving personal revelation and I am always thankful for those small moments when I can have "me and the Spirit" time to help me become a better teacher and even a better wife and family member.
I know I'm going to greatly enjoy having this goal for the week. More to come, I hope!
No comments:
Post a Comment